Most New Yorkers must stay at home, leaving only for:
- Grocery shopping.
- Getting medication.
- Solitary exercise, such as running or hiking. This does not include group sports such as basketball.
When you leave home, you must maintain distance from other people.
Who is exempt?
Workers providing essential services. These include:
- Health Care workers.
- Food suppliers and deliverers.
- Pharmacy workers.
- Utility workers, including internet providers.
What will happen if I don't take notice of this order?
- The governor said this is not voluntary. It will be monitored and there will be civil fines and closures for businesses. Civilians will be asked to return home.
How long will this last?
- The governor said it could go on for months.
What about vulnerable New Yorkers?
Seniors over the age of 70, immune-compromised people and those with underlying illnesses face the strictest rules
- Remain indoors
- Can go outside for solitary exercise
- Pre-screen all visitors and aides by taking their temperature
- Do not visit households with multiple people
- All vulnerable persons should wear a mask when in the company of others
- To the greatest extent possible, everyon in the presence of vulnerable people should wear a mask
- Always stay at least six feet away from individuals
- Do not take public transportation unless urgent and absolutely necessary
What are essential businesses?
Essential Health Care Operations, Including:
- research and laboratory services
- walk-in-care health facilities
- emergency veterinary and livestock services
- elder care
- medical wholesale and distribution
- home health care workers or aides for the elderly
- doctor and emergency dental
- nursing homes, or residential health care facilities or congregate care facilities
- medical supplies and equipment manufacturers and providers
Essential Infrastructure, Including:
- utilities including power generation, fuel supply and transmission
- public water and wastewater
- telecommunications and data centers
- transportation infrastructure such as bus, rail, or for-hire vehicles, garages
- hotels, and places of accommodation
Essential Manufacturing, Including:
- food processing, manufacturing agents, including all foods and beverages
- medical equipment/instruments
- sanitary products
- household paper products
Essential Retail, Including:
- grocery stores including all food and beverage stores
- convenience stores
- farmer's markets
- gas stations
- restaurants/bars (but only for take-out/delivery)
- hardware and building material stores
Essential Services, Including:
- trash and recycling collection, processing and disposal
- mail and shipping services
- building cleaning and maintenance
- child care services
- auto repair
- warehouse/distribution and fulfillment
- funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries
- storage for essential businesses
- animal shelters
Financial Institutions, Including:
- services related to financial markets
Providers of Basic Necessities to Economically Disadvantaged Populations, Including:
- homeless shelters and congregate care facilities
- food banks
- human services providers whose function includes the direct care of patients in state-licensed or funded voluntary programs; the care, protection, custody and oversight of individuals both in the community and in state-licensed residential facilities; those operating community shelters and other critical human services agencies providing direct care or support
- skilled trades such as electricians, plumbers
- other related construction firms and professionals for essential infrastructure or for emergency repair and safety purposes
- defense and national security-related operations supporting the U.S. Government or a contractor to the US government
Essential Services Necessary to Maintain the Safety, Sanitation and Essential Operations of Residences or Other Essential Businesses, Including:
- law enforcement
- fire prevention and response
- building code enforcement
- emergency management and response
- building cleaners or janitors
- general maintenance whether employed by the entity directly or a vendor
- automotive repair
Vendors that Provide Essential Services or Products, Including Logistics and Technology Support, Child Care and Services:
- technology support for online services
- child care programs and services
- government owned or leased buildings
- essential government services
What about houses of worship?
Houses of worship are not ordered closed but strongly recommended not to hold congregate services.